18/10/2015

God Is An Astronaut @ O2 Islington - 11/10/15

This Sunday was truly a Irish-full day. After watching the Ireland-France rugby match in a nice pub outside Angel station, Conor and I headed to the O2 (one with a bigger smile on his face) to see an Irish band .

 

I have been a fan of God Is An Astronaut for years now and I was eager to see them live for the first time. When I discovered them, their music was like nothing I had ever heard before, something I can only describe as an instrumental eargasm. I was recently informed by Julien, our very own Metal expert, that their genre is called Post-Rock. This kind of music transports you to another world and this astral journey is usually underlined by spacey song names such as 'Suicide By Star' (on the right) or 'Obscura Somnia'

Needless to say, I was excited.
After a one hour wait - which I later found out was due to one of the first supporting act's artist being involved in a car accident - the second supporting act came on: Overhead, The Albatross.
Under this rather complicated name hides another Irish gem. Seven artists on stage delivering a mind-blowing performance. Look out for them in the future, they are a must-see! Here's a song of there's where they use a ladder as percussion.


Finally God Is An Astronaut came on, and they did not deceive. Eyes closed, I was just transported to another dimension. They played a few songs from their new album which I was discovering for the first time (and instantly bought on my way out passing by the merch stand). They also played some classics from their previous albums including the magnificent 'Forever Lost', which was the best one live I would say.


Overall, a great night surrounded by a vibrant crowd in a very nice venue.



No comments:

Post a Comment