10/01/2016

Incredible Artists #2

I first came across Nils Frahm while browsing the lineup of the Dour Festival last summer. I had never heard about him and was curious when I saw a picture of him displaying rows of synthesizers and grand pianos.
 
I started listening to his music and was projected to another dimension. His old-school synthesizers give out a unique sound which he is able to modulate into magnificent harmonies and his virtuosity and creativity at the grand piano is mind-blowing.

I finally saw him at Dour festival and he is very different from what I was expecting. He is a shy and very humble guy that comes on the stage with the intention to bring good music and have fun doing it. He is actually quite awkward when communicating with the crowd and this makes him all the more intriguing.

But what he lacks in social skills, he makes up for in musical talent. I have rarely seen someone so passionate about what he does. Just look at the video below around the 20:00 mark. He is bringing himself to a state of physical pain to perform something truly extraordinary.

This is what make him incredible in my opinion: his dedication.



He will soon be playing at the Barbican, along with some of his friends for a 3 day music marathon. The tickets are not released yet, but keep your ears open, as they will sell out fast!
http://www.residentadvisor.net/news.aspx?id=31658

He also released a new album last year which he gave out for free in honour of Piano Day. You can still get it by going to the link below.
http://www.pianoday.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment