19/11/2014

Asaf Avidan - Different Pulses

The story of Asaf Avidan's international mega-fame starts with a disagreement.
A young German artist called Wankelmut decided to make a remix of the song "One Day / Reckoning Song". Asaf, far from impressed by the remix, asked him not to publish it. Wankelmut went ahead and propelled himself to the #1 in the charts in 14 countries!
When I first heard Asaf Avidan (at the time part of Asaf Avidan & the Mojos), I was mesmerised by her voice (very similar to Janis Joplin).
One year and two CDs bought later, I saw Asaf for the first time in a video: a 33 year old Israeli man!?
More surprisingly, his unusual and unique voice was accompanied by a passionate dexterity with a guitar in his lives.


Coming back to Different Pulses, his first and only solo album to date. It is simply a masterpiece in the folk-rock genre with gripping theatrical songs transported by his incredible voice.
I have trouble choosing which song to present from this album since it's just one of those records where every song is equally magical. I'll make my life easier and choose the first one, named after the album: Different Pulses!


No comments:

Post a Comment